FROM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
August 13, 2020
Dear Elementary Families,
We are very excited that we will soon be welcoming our elementary students back to learning on Sunday, August 30th!
This year we will begin differently than any of us have started a school year before, and in light of the current situation, we have been working even more diligently to ensure a safe and successful launch of learning for our students and families. Though it will look different, we will continue to cultivate a caring, learner focused environment of excellence for all our students.
Throughout the summer we have been working collaboratively with our health and safety leaders to develop plans K-12. In addition, specific plans for our elementary students have been developed as we are aware they may need the greatest guidance and teaching around health protocols.
Health and Safety Logistics:
- Our KG1 and KG2 classes will have a maximum of 10 students per class.
- Our Grade 1 to Grade 5 classes will have a maximum of 13 students per class.
- All classrooms have been measured and organized to ensure appropriate social distancing.
- Social distancing indicators have been placed throughout the school for students to follow.
- We will have staggered times for arrival and departure across the school and specific entrances for students to enter to ensure less crowding.
- Students will bring their backpack into their classrooms rather than using lockers to avoid breaking social distancing protocols.
- Each child will be provided with individual school supplies and storage areas.
- Students will be given explicit and reinforced health and safety lessons by their teachers.
- Any collective resources will be used individually and sanitized after use.
We are very confident that our students will demonstrate their Leopard Pride and make us all proud in how they return to school and learning in a safe and responsible manner.
KG 1 & 2 students will be on campus every day. Grades 1 -5 will be split into A and B groupings. Next week we will be informing families of our A and B groupings so you may begin to organize your commitments with clarity on the days your child will be in class. With the need for social distancing our K-12 learning start and end times have been altered, but the instructional hours remain the same as they would in any year.
Through our Hybrid Model of Learning we will continue to deliver exceptional learning opportunities for our students. Whether in the classroom, or learning from home, they will be connected to their teachers and classmates. Our approach to learning will embrace more small group instruction, personalized learning and innovative approaches to ensure all our students have the tools to achieve their own personal excellence within the curricular expectations. We will continue collaborating and planning with teachers in the coming weeks to further structure this hybrid experience and will be sharing more specifics as the beginning of the school year nears.
As a school that embraces an innovative mindset and excellence in education, Dubai American Academy is ready to return to learning. Our elementary educators were world-class leaders in the delivery of our Learning Beyond the Classroom Walls instruction for students in the spring and this will continue to be the case into the new school year. We have a number of new teachers joining our grade level teams and departments this academic year. All have chosen DAA Elementary because of our outstanding reputation, forward thinking approach to learning and all the opportunities we provide our staff and students to excel.
On August 30th we will be welcoming over 250 new families and 1100 students to the 2020-2021 academic year. It is going to be different (and look different in our new school uniforms) but it is going to be an exceptional year for all. Thank you for being part of our learning community.
Executive Principal, Elementary
Craig CantlieExecutive Principal of Elementary (K - Grade 5)firstname.lastname@example.org
Nathalie SalemehElementary Principal, Grades 4 and email@example.com
Noha BisharaAssistant Elementary Principal, Grades 2 and firstname.lastname@example.org
Tooshna GandhiAssistant Elementary Principal, KG1, KG2 and Grade email@example.com