FROM THE ES PRINCIPAL'S DESK
November 1st, 2018
We have had a wonderful week here in Elementary at Dubai American Academy!
This week we had our internal inspection by GEMS Education and the feedback we received reflected the excellent work of our staff. As with any good review, we have room for improvement but our work was recognized in a number of areas:
- We have explicit learning intentions (what students are learning to do or about)
- We have explicit success criteria (how students can demonstrate learning success)
- We have consistent application of the Future Fluencies throughout the school
- We have students and staff implementing the Fluency processes into learning
- We have effective questioning skills across the grades and that is leading to the encouragement of deeper critical thinking skills
- We have learning in our classes that seamlessly embeds technology and cross-curricular links
- We have very high student engagement and our educators are consistent in providing students with timely and constant formative feedback
One strength of our school that was certainly on display this week was our sense of community. We were so thankful to our parents community for “dressing up” our school in the colours of Fall, and getting us ready for the spirit of Halloween yesterday! Along with hall displays our parents organized a wonderful pumpkin patch and Fall Festival following the school parade. Our elementary school gym was alive with festive activities for all the grades and the positive energy throughout the day was inspiring. We spoke of parents as being our partners in learning at the beginning of the year and we are very thankful to our parent community for all their time and energy to make school life that much more engaging here at DAA.
Please enjoy this video created by our own Abby McPherson that captures yesterday’s elementary Fall Festival.
Items to note:
Students and families are expected to remain at the school doors until 7:25am every day. Only staff should be in the halls at that time for safety and supervision reasons.
Classes begin at 7:40am following the National Anthem and announcements.
Classes end at 2:45pm. Teachers strive to use all lesson time effectively so students will not be dismissed earlier and we ask that parents respectfully wait for students to be dismissed before standing at the classroom doors.
100% Club: Since we instituted the 100% Club we have 79% of our students present and on-time everyday. Please enjoy our video introducing the 100% Club to students. It would be great to increase this percentage for the month of November.
Monday, November 12th we will be having an Elementary School Coffee Morning from 8:00am to 9:00am. We will have Lee Crockett as a guest speaker. Lee is the man behind the Future Fluencies and will share the Why behind the importance of this work and the How we integrate the Fluencies into our classroom learning. We welcome you to join us for this Coffee Morning!
Mark you calendar for our first Elementary School (Kg1-Gr. 5) movie night. Come along with your favorite blankie or bean bag and enjoy a movie under the stars on the outdoor field! Please note that students must be supervised at all times!